Helpful information from Alberta Health Services (AHS)
Alberta Health Services - Addiction Services welcomes you back to a new school year. Our team would like to provide you with information regarding Addiction Services and how we can offer programming at your school for the 2019-20 school year.
Who are we?
Addiction Counsellors work with area schools in a number of capacities including information services, prevention services, and treatment services.
Peace River Addiction Services offers:
- Individual outpatient assessment and treatment counselling for youth where substance (alcohol, other drugs and tobacco) and/or gambling use may be a concern.
- Counselling appointments can be arranged onsite at schools or at an alternate location.
- When appropriate, counsellors can make youth referrals to detox programs and residential treatment programs.
- Counselling and information sessions are also available for family members.
- Counsellors meet with parents/guardians to complete the pre-application information session required to obtain a Protection of Children Abusing Drugs (PChAD) order.
- Educational workshops and seminars for teachers, students and parents.
- This includes classroom presentations and special projects.
- Group “day treatment” (psychoeducational) program is available for students who express interest in attending the program to acquire information or for students who are identified by school staff as using or are at-risk for using substances or gambling.
- Curriculum support materials are available online or through the area office as part of the school strategy. For information specific to teachers and schools, visit the Alberta Health Services website (http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/Page2909.aspx) and the Alberta Quits Website (https://www.albertaquits.ca/helping-others-quit-smoking/index).
We have developed a new set of articles to include in your monthly school newsletters.
- Our team will be offering a different addiction presentation topic to Jr./Sr. high schools every month. The presentation will be based on the monthly newsletter article topic. A sign-up sheet will be provided monthly for teachers to choose presentation dates and times.
- In addition, a display and resources can be provided to students/faculty preceding the scheduled monthly presentations.
Annually we offer programming on or around key awareness dates including:
- National Addictions Awareness Week (NAAW) - 3rd week of November
- National Non-Smoking Week (NNSW) - 3rd week of January
- World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) on May 31st
We would also like to continue to offer addictions programming to elementary schools which has traditionally focused on tobacco prevention, however we are open to delivering information on other topics of interest. We have a new presentation on indigenous tobacco which explains the differences between traditional tobacco and commercial tobacco.
To arrange addictions programming or for further information, on anything within this letter or on any other area of interest, please contact the Addictions Counsellor assigned to your school. Counsellors can be reached at the Peace River Addictions office at 780-624-6151 (toll free dial 310-000 then 780-624-6151).
We look forward to working with you!
Peace River Addiction Services
Addiction Services – Peace River
Addiction & Mental Health Services
Bag 900-1, 10015-98 Street
Peace River, AB, T8S 1T4
Tel: 780-624-6151 Fax: 780-624-6565
Click to download attachments: